Christmas in July Sales – What to Expect
Christmas in July!? Yep, it’s a real thing, and it’s steadily becoming more and more popular. It started as retailers’ response to Amazon’s Prime Day, and grew from there. Sharky just told you about some hot Christmas Clearance Deals going on right now!
It’s a great time for us, as consumers, to grab some great deals mid-way through the year, and it helps the retailers sell a little more before the holidays kick off. Every July, the sales rival Black Friday and either match, or become the second best prices of the year. In fact, Christmas in July sales are often referred to as, “July Black Friday” or “Summer Black Friday” sales! So, what can you expect with Christmas in July sales?
What’s on sale?
Everything from appliances and technology, to clothing and outdoor items will be part of Christmas in July sales! Not only are retailers vying for your business, they have to compete with one of Amazon’s most attractive qualities – free shipping. We see huge drops in shipping thresholds, free shipping on specific days, and free one-day shipping from retailers that only offer that one other time a year – Cyber Monday!
- Clothing: July is mid-year, which means it’s the transition month from summer clothing to fall clothing for retailers. Summer AND fall clothing and accessories are on sale during Christmas in July sales! Old Navy, JCPenney, and Walmart all spotlight these sales. Watch online boutiques like Jane and Cents of Style for great sales, too.
- Christmas decorations: Yep. They really go all out for Christmas in July sales! Some retailers will focus on holiday decor, along with other great deals. You’ll find outdoor decorations, wreaths, trinkets, lighting and much more, all on sale! Plus, keep an eye on Christmas trees, as sites like Walmart and Home Depot mark them down. Be sure to watch Bed, Bath & Beyond, Kohl’s and Macy’s for great bargains on decor, too.
- Jewelry: July is historically one of the slowest month for jewelry retailers. That’s why they jump on the trend of Christmas in July sales and offer savings of up to 75% off retail price! Macy’s is a big one for this, along with Kay Jewelers.
- Technology: Prime Day offers some SWEET deals on technology (especially Amazon tech) so we generally see a great hit back from places like Dell, Microsoft, Walmart, and Best Buy on computers, TVs, gaming and more! Let the big companies compete for your attention, and you’ll come out the winner!
This list could go on and on, but you get the idea, right? Pretty much everything you see on sale during Black Friday in November, will be on sale for Black Friday in July sales!
Which stores host sales?
Every year, more stores jump on the bandwagon. Don’t worry – you won’t miss out on any of them! Last year, some of my favorites were:
- GameStop – sweet savings on games
- Walmart – clothing to technology – you’ll see it all on sale
- QVC – really fun decor items and holiday dining options
- Michael’s – up to 60% off sitewide
- Best Buy – AMAZING deals on electronics, movies, tech gadgets and more
- Macy’s – shoes, kitchen items, handbags, bedding…..
- Ulta – great combo set sales and more makeup bundles
When is Christmas in July or Black Friday in July?
As sales go live, I’ll definitely let you know on Freebie Shark! Generally, websites are trying to distract your attention away from Amazon Prime Day, which is usually July 12-13. Most will start after the first week of July, and run through the end of the month.
Why should I shop the Christmas in July sales?
Many of us work with a budget. Gifting during the holidays can become quite overwhelming on our bank accounts. Grab some amazing deals mid-year, and store those gifts away. When you’re ready to holiday shop, you’ll realize you’ve already completed half of your list – which means you’ve saved a ton of money at the end of the year! Think of it like this: instead of spending $1,000 in November and December, you can spend $500 in July, and $500 in November. It’s easier on your stress-level and your wallet! In fact, check out more awesome tips on How to Start Saving for Christmas NOW.
Merry half-way to Christmas!